Thursday, July 25, 2013

Color My Furniture

Well it seems that every time I turn around someone is posting a picture of antique/vintage furniture sporting a new coat of paint in white or trendy colors. I LIKE it!

Repurposed vanity

Old furniture is usually pretty banged up, has repairs (some badly done) and generally looks well worn and not lovingly so. If yours isn't, good for you. Continue to give it the loving care it deserves. But the rest of us with, dare I say, abused wood and veneer, go for it!


Desk out of an old sewing machine frame

I have come to the conclusion that if you can't put a piece of furniture in your house because it is so badly neglected or beat up and ugly, why have it? If it is not worth a fortune, doesn't need to go to a special conservatory for repairs or doesn't have too many memories in its present condition, then repurpose it! All the spots where the veneer has broken off can be filled with wood putty, the rough patches can be sanded down, the splits and cracks filled in and the hardware replaced. Voila! Newly repurposed furniture is trendy, colorful, playful and shouldn't break the budget.


Wallpaper the drawers? Why not!

Repurposing old furniture is the best form of recycling. It is creative and very satisfying for your expressive side. I collect pix of re-do's from Pinterest, Facebook, design mags, really just about anywhere. I save them onto my smartphone and when I see a piece while out perusing shops, I compare to the saved photo and bam! The idea is completed. I sell some pieces, keep too many others and gift some of them to fellow enthusiasts that are not crafty.


Fido has a new crib!

Just about everyone has come across an idea that made them marvel at how clever repurposing really is. I particularly love the pet bed made out of a 1970's ugly end table. (Had some new ones myself, now you how old I am!) The idea is to be free from design restrictions, add some color to the decor and have some fun with how creative you are. When in doubt, a shade of white is always right! 


1970's Spanish Revival never looked so good!

If and when (and it will be when) you tire of it, it won't be difficult to re-paint, re-upholster or find a new home for your beauty. Like I mentioned earlier, not a lot of money should be spent for the initial purchase but shops are quickly catching on to the market in beat up furniture. You may have to bargain/shop harder. Part of the lure, right?


Textured wallpaper on drawer fronts.

I usually use chalk paints which contain minerals that harden on the piece for a durable finish. I have a small car buffer to add the final wax coat and save my arms. I mix my own paint with directions from Pinterest. It's cheap with sample sized paint and you can make any color you want.


Add stencils!

Do find a special piece to repurpose in the near future, you'll be hooked on it. Send me pictures of what you're currently working on and we'll ooh and ahh together! 
(All the above pix were shared via Pinterest)

No comments:

Post a Comment